Saturday, April 10, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 - Ashley Avery's Profile/Biodata & Picture


Ashley Avery


AGE: 20 | HEIGHT: 5'9" | HOMETOWN: CLARENVILLE, NL

Ambitious and hard-working, Ashley believes that passion and dedication are the keys to success, and commits each day to reaching her goals. As a multiple scholarship recipient, she is currently completing an undergraduate degree in business with plans to attend law school and eventually operate her own law firm.

Born in Halifax, NS, on December 15, 1989, Ashley's parents moved her back to their home of Newfoundland and Labrador as an infant to keep her closer to family. She then spent her childhood in 5 different communities across the beautiful and unique island. Constantly changing schools and making new friends taught Ashley to be adaptive, a skill that always helps her succeed.

Ashley spent the past few summers working as a swimming coach, instructor, and lifeguard. She is very proud that she has been able to share her love of the sport while acting as a role model for youth. Other than swimming, she also enjoys volunteering, dancing, pilates, learning new languages, cooking, and reading.

She has always been very active in her community and school, and has volunteered her time at Clarenville's G.B. Cross Memorial Hospital, and with organizations such as the Clarenville Lion’s Club Leos, Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD,) Memorial University's Buddy Program for International Students, and SIFE Memorial.

Ashley is very grateful for the opportunity to be a delegate in the Miss Universe Canada 2010 competition, and aspires to be the first woman from Newfoundland and Labrador to capture this prestigious title and represent Canada at Miss Universe 2010.


Questionnaire

Are you currently a student?
If yes, where?
Area of study:
I am currently completing a Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op) at Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Are you currently employed?
If yes, what is your occupation?
As part of my university program, I am currently completing a work-term semester in accounting in order to gain real-life experience in the business world.

Have you completed secondary school?
If yes, where?
I graduated with honours from Clarenville High School in 2007.

Have you completed university/college?
If yes, where?
I will graduate from Memorial University in 2012.

Have you completed any technical/professional school?
If yes, where?
What subject?
No.

Languages spoken Fluently (please include your native language if English is not your native language)
English
I also have advanced speaking skills in French and since attending university have been learning to speak Spanish.

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).
Piano
Flute
Dance – Jazz, Hip Hop, Contemporary
Drama Lessons

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?
Swimming – 14 years

Please list any schools and universities (public/private/graduate/trade or technical) you have or are attending, as well as the area of study, graduation date and any degree or certification you received.
Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
Bachelor of Commerce (Co-op)
Graduation Date: 2012

What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?
Canadian Blood Services
Canadian Cancer Society

What would be your "dream job" in life?
My dream job would be a career that challenges me each and every day, and gives me a sense of worth and self-accomplishment.

Right now, Miss Universe is my dream job. I would love to travel the world, speak to many people, and work with various charities.

Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?
My grandfather has had the most influence on my life as he taught me through example how to be a good person. He was very well respected, admired in the community, and was known as a gentle, patient, and hard-working man. He taught me that family is extremely important and to always be kind to others. He survived multiple types of cancer and overcame tough obstacles, but always had a positive attitude and put others before himself.

What is the proudest personal accomplishment (other than being in this or any other beauty pageant competition)
Even though I am very proud of my academic achievements, my true proudest personal accomplishment is something that may seem simple to others. Despite my fear of needles and the fact that it takes all of my efforts to keep consciousness, I gave blood for the first time this fall and now do so as often as possible—every 56 days. I’ve seen people, including my grandfather, suffer from blood shortages and have always known how important it is to donate. But, it took me a long time to build up the nerve. Having done it, it makes me very proud to know that I may have helped save someone’s life.

What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?
My career ambition is to own and operate a successful law firm. I am currently working very hard to successfully complete my undergraduate degree—a Bachelor of Commerce. I am listed on Memorial University’s Faculty of Business Dean’s List and am on scholarship with a 3.9 GPA. It is extremely important that I maintain this academic status and build a strong resume as I plan to attend a prestigious law school.

Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.
I was raised in different communities across Newfoundland and Labrador—from one coast to the other. I feel that this was a privilege as I was able to experience the many different faces of my province. Moving around allowed me to make many friends but also kept me extremely close to my mother, father, and sister.

List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.
The most interesting job I have had was working as a swim team coach. When working with 130 kids ranging in age from 6-18, every day is an adventure. It is never boring! This job was also very personally rewarding. There is nothing more satisfying than helping children reach their goals—whether it be completing their first lap of the pool or winning a gold medal.

List any volunteering you have done.
SIFE Memorial
Memorial University’s Buddy Program for International Students
SADD
Volunteer Swim Coach
Clarenville Lion’s Club Leos
Clarenville’s G.B. Cross Memorial Hospital Volunteen

Where is the most interesting place you have been?
Even though it is very close to my own home, the most interesting place I have been is Gros Morne National Park on the west coast of Newfoundland. The natural beauty there is incredible!

What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?
Every woman in this competition is beautiful, intelligent, and accomplished. What sets me apart is that I am a small-town girl. The slower pace of life in small rural communities allows you to truly enjoy each day. It has given me a sense of genuineness and keeps me grounded. Because most opportunities are not as readily available in small towns, when something like this competition presents itself, you don’t take it for granted; you take advantage of the opportunity and work extremely hard to make the most of it.

What is your philosophy of/in life?
My philosophy in life is “no pain, no gain.” If you want to reach your goals, it is necessary to commit yourself 100%, set high standards, and be willing to make sacrifices. The things most worthwhile are never easy.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?
In 10 years I hope to have a family and a career that makes me happy. I also hope that I will be in a position to allow me to travel the world and experience different cultures.

Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?

If I reach my goal of becoming Miss Universe Canada 2010, I would like to use the title to work with The Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada. This is one of my favourite charities as it makes children’s dreams a reality and teaches them to remain strong and make each day count.

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment