Thursday, April 15, 2010

Miss Universe Canada 2010 Contestant - Krista Hakeman's Photo & Profile/Biodata


Krista Hakeman

AGE: 26 | HEIGHT: 5'7" | HOMETOWN: GOLDEN, BC

Krista was born in British Columbia where she blossomed in the Kicking Horse Country of Golden, BC. Having Viking roots plays a very important role in defining Krista’s characteristics, among them, determination, loyalty, and diligence.

Growing up on a small farm nestled in the Rocky Mountains, she has a love for animals, especially her donkey named Taco. During childhood, Krista volunteered with her mother for the SPCA, caring for animals like llamas, goats, and potbelly pigs.

Krista’s main accomplishment, to date, was receiving a Bachelor of Science Nursing degree from Red Deer College in 2008. Krista’s best attributes as a Registered Nurse are her amenability, enthusiasm, and bubbly personality. One distinguishing feature about Krista is her tendency to have cold hands, but always a warm heart towards her family, friends, and patients.

One dream Krista is working towards is volunteering in a third world country. Her impetus to travel offers the opportunity to experience diverse cultures, advocate for quality of care, grow personally, and promote health and prevent disease, with the intent of making a difference.

Questionnaire

Are you currently a student?
No.

Are you currently employed?
I work as a Registered Nurse (RN).

Have you completed secondary school? Where?
Yes. Golden Secondary School.

Have you completed university/college?
In 2008 completed my Bachelor of Science Nursing Degree at Red Deer College collaborative through University of Alberta.

Have you completed any technical/professional school?
No.

Languages spoken Fluently:
English.

List any special training you have had (music, art, drama, dance, etc).
Gymnastics and jazz dancing as an adolescent.
In elementary school played the clarinet for 2 years.

In what sports, if any, have you participated and how long have you participated in each sport?
Learned to ski at the age of 7 and still rip the mountains today.
I started playing soccer since the age of 10, continued through High School, and played collegiate soccer on the Red Deer College team. I still play today.
I played basketball competitively in high school and in the Golden Basketball Association.
Each summer I play in a mixed slow-pitch baseball league.
Started golf in 2008.

Please list any schools and universities (public/private/graduate/trade or technical) you have or are attending, as well as the area of study, graduation date and any degree or certification you received.
I attended Red Deer College from 2002-2008, within those years I received a Personal Care Attendant certificate and my Bachelor of Science Nursing Degreecollaborative through University of Alberta.

What charity/charities have you supported with your time and/or resources over past two years?
BC SPCA.
BC Children’s Hospital Foundation.
Salvation Army.
UNICEF Foundation.
Donation to the Haiti Earthquake Relief.

What would be your "dream job" in life?
My dream job would be to be a fashion model, and travel the world.

Name one person, other than your parents, who has had the most influence on your life? Why?
I have not personally met her, but through Jean Watson’s literature, she has taught me how to value and respect my family, friends, and patients. Her writing is positive, motivating, and teaches principles on how to build relationships.

What is the proudest personal accomplishment?
My proudest personal accomplishment was passing my PADI scuba diving course. I have always been afraid of the water and what’s below it. After bundling up enough encourage to face this fear, I took lessons. I will never forget the first breath of air I took under water. The fear is not gone but it is a lot smaller.

What is your career ambition and what are you doing or plan to do to accomplish that goal?
My career ambition is to advance my nursing to a point where I can volunteer or work in the third world, particularly Africa. In order to accomplish this goal I want to work a few years as a RN to increase my knowledge. Then I will contact different travel nursing agencies, seeking advice and employment.

Describe where you were raised and what your childhood was like.
I was born in the city of Revelstoke, BC, and eventually moved to the Rocky Mountain town of Golden, BC. I grew up on a farm and had a very outdoor life style. One of my fondest memories was four-wheeling with my dog, Kyna, exploring the trails around our town. My parents instilled values in my brother and I though chores, and play as a family. We went on many adventures, such as, camping, skiing, and exploring all over our wonderful province. My grandparents are very important to me and I was lucky to have them living close by, which allowed for many family gatherings. My upbringing has taught me to be hard working and determined.

List any interesting or unusual jobs you may have had.
During my first three years of college I worked at a hospital to see if I would enjoy nursing. This job was interesting because it was not a traditional hospital, but rather a mental facility. I worked as a psychiatric aide in different specially areas of the hospital. It definitely taught me to adapt to various challenges, such as communicating with patients that have varying mental health issues.
List any volunteering you have done.
I volunteered for ‘Fishes and Loaves’ a church group that fed the homeless
I volunteered for BC SPCA with my mother
I volunteered for “Hoops for Kids” basketball
I was a soccer coach for kids
I volunteered in a fashion show for local designers in Golden, BC
I have applied to volunteer for Options for Sexual Health

Where is the most interesting place you have been?
The most interesting place I have been is Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado, U.S. This designated World Heritage Site contains hundreds of Indian village ruins. The cliff dwellings they built are remarkable, and the scenery is spectacular. After climbing down into one site we learned the history behind their lives. You begin to appreciate the hardships they encountered.

What makes you unique and different from the other contestants?
What makes me unique from the other contestants is my Viking roots. I am a determined person, for example, no matter how many times Scout, my miniature horse bucked me off, I still got back on. One distinguishing feature about me is my tendency to have cold hands, but always a warm heart towards people.

What is your philosophy of/in life?
My philosophy in life is to have fun, but to always remember the past and to learn from it. In life we all go through obstacles, so “sing, like you don’t need the money, love, like you’ll never get hurt, you got to dance, like no one is watching, it’s got to come from the heart if you want it to work” Guy Clark.

What do you hope to be doing in 10 years?
In 10 years I hope to be volunteering and working in different countries helping people as a nurse, and a friend.

Is there anything you would like to tell us about yourself? Something unique that has happened to you? Some interesting thing about you?
Something unique that has happened to me was when I travelled to Mexico and went snorkelling in open water I got to experience a shark up close and personal. On my 12th birthday I got to deliver potbelly pigs in our laundry room.
I love a good bowl of ice cream and can never leave my house without lipstick.

source: (Thank you and credits to
http://www.beautiesofcanada.com/
and all sources for the information and pictures)

No comments:

Post a Comment